So you want to be a part of 2.42 Church's worship team! That's awesome! This page will guide you through the process of applying to be part of the worship serving team.
Keep in mind that you might be told "not yet" to being part of the team. If that is the case, we will always be clear with you about why the answer is "not yet", and we will give you concrete next steps that you can take toward either becoming part of the team later or finding another serving team that might be a better fit for you.
1. First, take some time to read carefully through our team mission, core values, and responsibilities of a team member:
The worship team exists to lead 2.42 Church in being worshipers of Jesus.
— The purpose of the team isn't to make music or create an experience, but to be people whose whole lives are acts of worship of Jesus and to help and inspire others in the church to join us in that pursuit. We regularly do that through making music for the church to sing praises to, but the core purpose is far deeper than that.
- Is Christ-centered, Holy Spirit-led, and vulnerable — We want to set an example of humility, devotion, and transparency.
- Is musically conducive for worship, creative, and polished — We don't expect perfection or even expertise, but we want everything we do to be centered around helping the church worship Jesus.
- Goes beyond musical worship into whole-life worship — Musical worship should be just a collective expression of a life of worship.
- Comes out of a unified creative community built on mutual respect, trust, encouragement, and enjoyment. — We want our team to be a fun and uplifting group to be a part of! We want to work together to build each other up and make new and creative things for the glory of God!
- Is deeply rooted in the spiritual community of 2.42 Church — We want our worship times to be connected to what the people in our church family are experiencing and the needs they have.
Team members who are:
Team Members Responsibilities:
- Practicing their instrument/voice/role in general, and specifically for the songs or activities planned for the Sunday services they are scheduled for
- Coming to rehearsal on time (unless extenuating circumstances don’t allow)
- Working with the team to develop a quality set
- Coming to Sunday service on time (usually to rehearsal before the service)
- Helping lead the church in worship through worshiping and playing their role for the glory of God
- Receiving feedback from the worship leader and humbly and respectfully considering it
2. Next, submit an application using this form: 242sanmarcos.org/worship-team-application. If you're applying to help with non-musical worship, once we review your application, we'll let you know if you're accepted onto the team or if there are things we'd like you to do before that.
3. If you're applying to help with musical worship, you'll next need to submit an audition video.
Don't worry about making a super polished video, just a raw recording is perfect; we're not looking for videography skills after all! Also, a phone camera will probably give the best sound quality, but a laptop with a webcam and microphone will also work just fine.
- If you play an instrument, please record yourself playing 2 worship songs, 1 faster, 1 slower.
- If you sing, please record yourself singing along to 2 worship songs, 1 faster, 1 slower.
- You can just play the song in the background while you sing along to it
- Please choose an instrumental recording of the song you'd like to audition with. You can find instrumental recordings of many popular worship songs on Youtube.
- If you sing and play an instrument, please either do both of the above (you'll play/sing 4 songs total, but you can use the same songs for both singing and playing) or record yourself singing and playing together (2 songs total), whichever you feel more comfortable with.
- Next, upload the video to Youtube and paste the link in this form: 242sanmarcos.org/worship-video-audition.
- here's a good step-by-step guide to uploading Youtube videos if you need it: www.wikihow.com/Upload-a-Video-to-YouTube
- We recommend setting your video to "unlisted" unless you want random people to be able to see it. Please don't set it to "private" or we won't be able to see it.
Once your application and audition video have been reviewed, we'll get in touch with you to let you know if you're accepted onto the team or if there are things we'd like you to do before that.
We're really excited to get to know you and help you serve the kingdom of God with us!